21 November 2009

turkey turkey

okay. so. i bought my first turkey. and i want to know...since i am completely clueless, what are your turkey secrets? is there an amazing rub (i love a good lemon pepper rub) that makes a turkey divine? do i need to put it in a roasting bag? my mom will be here to help me but claims that turkey is on her "not the best" list when it comes to cooking. my chef uncle normally does the turkey at our family dinners. got any tips?

i want to know!

if anything, please help me so my turkey will not end up like the one on "christmas vacation"

p.s. nate and my brother say what's the big deal about turkey? they want steak for thanksgiving. i say no way. i'm all for tradition. now i just need help making this tradition turn out edible...

5 comments:

  1. go for the brine! i've had a brined turkey for the past two years and it is so moist and delicious, i don't think you could mess it up. we had dinner at a british friend's house last year and she doesn't even have a turkey past, haha. basically you soak the bird overnight in a 5 gallon bucket of a salt water mix with herbs or something. check out recipes on cooksillustrated.com or something, or just google it and you'll find something. i think that's the one that my brother in law uses.

    good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, we like to go for the brine, too! that's what we did last year. I also put some pats of butter randomly under the skin. Fill the inside with onions and celery and garlic. mmm...I can already smell it roasting! otherwise, I'm with Nate and say go for the steak! :) Gee, I wonder where he gets that from...oh wait, he's not actually MY nephew. oh well, I can see my good taste has rubbed off on him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Check Martha. She KNOWS what she's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never used brine, mainly because it seems like so much work! I put butter under the skin and celery, onions, garlic, etc. inside (unless you are going to put the stuffing inside). I say - go for the bag! We did not know how it would turn out, but it was great!

    ReplyDelete