20 October 2011

A year ago...

On Jessica's birthday earlier this week, I was thinking about this time last year and what was going on in our lives. I was actually here in Singapore for two months without her. It was about now that I got a call at 6am from Jessica, she was very excited. She informed me that she was pregnant. I tried my best to not sound like I just woke up. I really was excited but I am not known to be the most energetic sounding person in the morning.

Anyway, it dawned on me that last year is what set the opportunity for us to be here in Singapore. I was asked two weeks before actually getting to Singapore if I would be willing and/or interested in a short-term assignment. I was first told it would be six months, then two months, and then two months with the possibility of going back. Needless to say, it was a difficult decision. We were obviously in the process of trying to get pregnant and that would become quite difficult to do 10,000 miles away from each other. In the end, it has all worked out and we are very grateful for the opportunity.

The thing I remember most about that time last year was a great weekend in Chicago with Jessica's parents and our great friends Matt and Belize. It was right before I left so it was great to spend time with family. Matt made a pretty cool video to remember how awesome it was. It makes me miss Chicago but I probably will not miss it that much in January when it is 90 degrees here and 30 there. We love Singapore, but we do miss our family and friends back home.

Chicago 2010 from Matt on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment