the majority of our suitcases coming home from our christmas vacation were filled with baby food, baby supplies, baby clothes, baby toys...you get the picture. i thought we had a pretty good stock hold, but little did i know how fast sage would blow through it.
so i checked out the options at our local store...
so i checked out the options at our local store...
this is what i have to work with.
the thought of egg custard makes me want to throw up,
so no, i'm not feeding that to my little girl.
also, i feel like all this food might secretly have ketchup as one of the ingredients...heinz?
the thought of egg custard makes me want to throw up,
so no, i'm not feeding that to my little girl.
also, i feel like all this food might secretly have ketchup as one of the ingredients...heinz?
i couldn't stop thinking about fruits of the forest gel. what does that even mean?
who knows if any of the ingredients are even fruit.
who knows if any of the ingredients are even fruit.
after some light reading, i opted to make my own.
i was so proud of my domesticity, my dedication to healthy, whole foods.
i did have to look up how to cut a mango on youtube, but you better believe there is an ice cube tray full of fresh mango purée in our freezer.
and then i fed it to sage, who normally loves the gerber version of mangoes.
re.ject.ion.
with a wrinkled frown and everything.
nevermind that we're living blenderless and ovenless.
my tool of choice is the awesome food mill my wise mother gifted me.
i'm determined on this homemade food kick though...on to bananas.
im proud of you for even attempting homemade food! egg custard, 'smooth' style...that's disgusting!
ReplyDeleteSo funny! Maybe the baby food was imported from the company "Heinz Australia." Heinz Australia makes a number of different foods such as soups, and their baby food is the main brand used there. I laughed about what you said about the egg custard flavor being so gross. One of my Aussie friends gave me a few egg custard jars her baby outgrew. I had watched her spoon that stuff into the mouth of her six month old and asked her about it and she said it's her favorite because it tastes like pudding and some adults even buy it to eat themselves. I figured if it has enough sugar in it for adults to enjoy, it's probably not best for babies even if they like it. That's great you're making your own! I hope she likes the next flavor.
ReplyDeleteThanks Kalista. I asked my British and Australian friends after i wrote this and it turns out that you're right, Heinz is the main baby food supplier for them too. I just think some of the baby food flavor combos seem terrible!
ReplyDeleteThat's so funny about the baby food. A friend of ours in Pittsburgh works for Heinz and they gave me a bunch of Heinz baby food when I had Camden. I actually liked it better than Gerber, and am sad that I ran out and can't buy it at the grocery store! Those flavors do sound pretty unusual though! Making your own baby food is the way to go anyway, good luck!
ReplyDelete