25 October 2008

simplicity

recently, i am way into simplicity. hence, the blog change. also feeding this crave for simplicity: i've been reading a lot of henry david thoreau. i really like the guy and i've always really liked his ideas. i'm not sure i want to go build my own shack and live by a pond by myself for months on end, but i do want to try to live simpler.

simplicity attempt #1: easy, good recipes. have i mentioned that i am slightly obsessed with cooking/baking? more baking. anyway, i love a good recipe. but a good, simple recipe? to die for! lately i've been making my own alfredo sauce from scratch and it's oh so simple, plus i make mine minus the usual fat content of restaurant sauces. voila. on a side note, if you have an easy, good recipe - leave a comment! i am all ears.

simplicity attempt #2: less clutter. i feel much less stress when there is no clutter. this is hard, but so worth it.

simplicity attempt #3: someday when nate has a real job, i will subscribe to real simple. love that magazine. thoreau would barf if i ever said this to him. he thinks simplicity is separating ourselves from the institutions of the world. i think, hey thoreau, i like magazines.


my brother chandler took this picture.
i love his photography. he has an eye for beauty.

5 comments:

  1. I like your new photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the new blog and mind set. I just discovered Real Simple magazine and I absolutely love it! We...I missed you this weekend. Maybe sometime soon one of us will have another opportunity to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. recipe from Sweden.

    Swedish Kladkakor

    3 dl sugar
    1 1/2 dl flour
    150 gr butter
    4 tbsp cocoa
    pinch of salt
    2 eggs

    mix dry ingredients, add egg, mix, add butter. pour into a baking dish, and then into the oven for 25-30 minutes at 160-170 C.

    simplified.... twice as much sugar as flour, a lot of butter, a lot of cocoa, enough egg to keep it moist.

    Its a little different texture than a brownie, but very delicious.

    Cocoa can be switched out for 2 - 2 1/2 tbsp cinnamon instead. Also good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. opps... melt the butter.... forgot that part...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do confess I like magazines too, even though Thoreau is one of my favorite authors! Everything in moderation, right?

    Also, I'm loving your new blog.

    ReplyDelete