28 January 2010

such a different world

i like to document everything here, including my teaching stories. if you get sick of the preschool quotes, skip this. but these little kids feel like my world right now. where i work and where the rest of my life is spent are so different. i usually love this diversity in my days. usually. for example, i served my preschoolers "liquid snow" the other day for a winter themed snack - crushed ice with white cranberry juice.

"mmmm, this smells good like my hair grease, ms. lawler" hmm. is that good?

i got heckled at the grocery store in my school's neighborhood the other day. it was awful. a man came up behind me in line and said the most racist, demeaning, crude things i've ever heard in a low voice so only i could hear it. i go to that grocery store all the time and have never been bugged. he wouldn't leave me alone. in my head: do i say something and get punched in the face? do i go get security? do i ignore it and sprint out of this store? i did the last one. safest option for the situation.

one little girl's family is now homeless. did you worry about that when you were 3? my world revolved around my little pony and copying everything my brother did. probably picking my nose when my mom wasn't watching. i didn't wonder if we'd come home to no house with our belongings sitting on the grass outside.

but then there are crossovers. i say "oh hey" to my kids all the time. i was gone from the school this morning and returned during nap time. when i walked in the door, i saw four little heads pop up and heard a chorus of "oh hey ms. lawler!" i forget that they pick up so much at their age. i still wish i were 4 all the time.

and my favorite little boy of late did this:
(waves at me) "come here! i need to show you something"
(points to 20 magnetic letters bunched up) "i spelled the word 'ilovems.lawler'"

5 comments:

  1. The things little kids say, never get old. These days, Asher randomly tells me he loves me, and sometimes adds, "that's why I want to be close to you!" Thanks for your sweet comment. I have to tell you that I think of you every time I'm shopping for baby shoes. Winter probably has 30 pairs of shoes already. I can't wait until you have a baby, so I can send you an awesome pair of baby shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you teach in Washington Heights:). I've gotten a couple creepy comments and I yell at people (I get so angry if I have my kids with me, which is probably not good), but it's usually on the subway. I don't know what I would do if it were in the grocery store. I'm sorry. Yuck!

    I know, the homeless thing blows my mind. Esp with kids! How does it happen? There are so many resources - esp when there are children involved. Urban life is so much different. I'm grateful for this eye-opening experience, but I'm so glad I can protect my kids and give them a safe places to come home to.

    You're doing do much good! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy stories Jess!
    Sounds like you are having quite the experience out there! Your little preschool students sound adorable though. Take care! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry you had to go through that...people can be so hurtful sometimes. And you have to wonder why.

    It is obvious that you are doing many wonderful things and making a great impact on "your" kids...keep up the good work!

    Love you! (And that cute nephew of mine, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww wow I like the last one! :) I just can't believe all that you are going through with this job of yours! Crazy crazy it sounds like you are having a ball though. Teaching is so hard and to have the diversity factor on top of all of it, wow you are so awesome! I hope you have no more scary encounters with wierdos at the grocery store! <3

    ReplyDelete