21 June 2011

how it really went down

it's been a week since little sage came into the world, but it's hard to imagine life without her. i think we talk about how precious and cute she is at least fifty times a day. we are so in love with our baby girl.

last week, i looked like this and wished night and day that my water would break...and i was a week+ overdue.
Photobucket
the best part is when i rode the bus and two separate drivers said, "oh wow! two in there huh?" and "looks like you'll have two on your hands," to which i glared and said "overdue!"

i began feeling contractions on a saturday, and kept track of them until sunday night when we finally got the okay from my doctor to book it to the hospital. my mom was/is in town, and stayed with us through the whole ordeal. to shorten the story, i was in labor (with an epidural, hooray!) for 26 hours at the hospital. by midnight on monday, i had only dilated to a 6 and our very large baby's head was not going to fit. my whole life i've been told i have childbearing hips, but we now know the truth: these hips are not made for almost 10 pound babies.

IMG_6497

a c-section was the only choice, so naturally i broke down and sobbed. i was done laying in a bed, done with feeling like i was failing at pushing a child out, and done with two nights of zero sleep. nate was a rock and totally stepped up to the plate. he calmed me down and we headed for the operating room. the drugs made me insanely nauseous and i spent most of the surgery dry heaving and crying/moaning. i honestly don't remember much from those two hours. unfortunately, i hemorrhaged during the c-section and lost more than double the amount of blood that is considered normal. nate said it was a hot mess in the OR. through it all, baby girl was never in distress and was totally happy inside my belly. she came out perfectly content and healthy, but left this mama in a not-so-healthy state. i was given two blood transfusions to get my body back up to speed, and finally could hold sage.

IMG_6503

IMG_6624

it was an unexpected birth experience, but we are beyond happy that sage is ours.

IMG_6620

16 comments:

  1. That is a huge baby!!! I would get those same comments when I was over due but my baby only came out to be 7.9 lbs....hmmmmm....yep I felt fat after that. One plus about your c-section was that sage came out perfect! No bruising, no cone head, just perfect! She is beautiful. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you and your baby are alright Jess! Congratulations on your beautiful little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow jess! What a crazy experience. Sage is such a sweet name. She is chubby and beautiful. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. C-sections are not fun. at all. I can completely commiserate with you about the dry-heaving! Awful right? I'm glad that you are ok and that baby is here and she is ok too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad she is here and that you survived those long hours! Hope to meet her soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is crazy Jess! I can't believe you hemorrhaged and had to get 2 blood transfusions. That is super scary. And now you get to recover from both a c-section and a vaginal birth all while taking care of a newborn. I hope you are getting lots of help. Sage is adorable. That pregnant picture of you is awesome! I love it. Also, I think the chicago bus driver story is hilarious. When I was pregnant with Cole and Meg was 18 months they were always saying "girl... you are busy!" haha. Good luck with the newborn and preparing for the move. You will be busy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Jess that is an incredible story! When I first read that you'd been in labor for 26 hours I was floored, and praying that you had an epidural-- SO glad you did. Sage is so beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is a little chub and I LOVE it! Your arms will get very strong very fast so I have learned over the past 11 months with Ryker.

    That is super scary about all of the blood. I am happy to hear that you are both doing better and I hope your recovery is fast.

    Isn't crazy how your delivery can go oh so very different from how you planned/hoped it would go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that picture of you and sage. so beautiful. i'm glad that things turned out well and you have your baby girl! so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that you are both doing great! I had to have an emergency C-section with our little boy too... totally understand the feeling of "not being able to deliver" and being told that I had birthing hips, but apparently not really:) Hope you are recovering well and enjoying your little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow what an ordeal! i'm so glad she came out so healthy and i hope you are recovering ok! it's amazing what we're willing to go thru to get these little babies here.. and then somehow you forget about all of it whenever you get to snuggle them. she's so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy cow! What an experience. I think the one consistent thing with birth stories is that they all have unexpected elements, that's what makes them personal. All you can do is go with the flow. Ultimately all that matters is that you are both safe. Mission accomplished! Sage is absolutely beautiful, and I love her name. Soak it all up, it really does go way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CONGRATS, JESSICA & NATE!!! Sage is so beautiful!! Can't wait to meet her :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jess, wow. I cannot imagine how stressful that experience was, but I am also so glad to hear that your beautiful girl did not have to suffer any of the trauma that you felt. She is beautiful and I am so happy for you and Nate. I hope that she sleeps enough for you to rest also. The quilt is really gorgeous, ps.

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is more than gorgeous! CONGRATULATIONS!! Jess- so sorry to hear about your delivery! I have learned to always expect the unexpected! Aghh! I hope you are recovering ok. Having a beautiful daughter was so worth it, I know you agree. Wish we were closer to help out. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete